Get ready for yet another episode of Mastering Nursing! This week is all about bringing personal values and authenticity into your work as a nurse. Helping Nurse Keith discuss this crucial concept is Alene Nitzky, Ph.D., RN. Alene is the founder of Cancer Harbors, which provides affordable, accessible, state of the art & science, evidence-based cancer survivorship caring through education, knowledge & skill-building, and advocacy for their clients.
Alene Nitzky, Ph.D., RN, OCN is an oncology nurse, author, and entrepreneur from Fort Collins, Colorado. Her book, Navigating the C: A Nurse Charts the Course for Cancer Survivorship Care, is a resource for all stakeholders in the healthcare system from the perspective of a nurse working in the community. The book contains solutions for patients, healthcare professionals, and administrators who make decisions around healthcare with a unique approach to preparation and prevention, and practical guidelines for building self-care, self-advocacy and cancer literacy skills regardless of one’s cancer status, knowledge or experience. Alene enjoys painting with pastels and is an accomplished ultra-distance runner.
What You’ll Discover in This Episode:
- The acronym CARE stands for the qualities, values, and principles that support our work in healthcare, and they are creativity, authenticity, resourcefulness, and empathy.
- The importance of healthcare professionals speaking up, speaking out, and insisting on the accountability of the larger healthcare system of which they are a part.
- Strategies and tools for true cancer survivorship beyond treatment to optimal health.
- How nurses can reach out to decision makers and power brokers with compassion and empathy in order to come up with creative solutions and making the leap to improved working conditions and improved patient safety.
- Plus so much more!
Featured on the Show:
- Connect with Alene Nitzky: LinkedIn | Twitter
- Connect with the Show: Facebook | Twitter
- Subscribe to the Show: iTunes | Spotify | Google Play
A Quick Look at Cancer Harbors
Launched in 2016 by CEO and founder Alene Nitzky, Cancer Harbors offers restorative tools, skills, & support with a human touch to improve functioning and quality of life, easing the lasting effects of cancer treatment.
Given today’s busy healthcare environment of short appointments and rushed encounters… as well as a huge amount of information online, it can all be overwhelming to those working through the impact of cancer treatment. Cancer Harbors is a crucial compliment to a doctor’s care.
- About: “Cancer Harbors was founded by Alene Nitzky to assist people in gaining more control over restoring their health and life after cancer treatment.”
- Mission: “To provide affordable, accessible, state of the art & science, evidence-based cancer survivorship caring through education, knowledge & skill-building, and advocacy for our clients.”
- Select Testimonial: “Alene was there for me when I needed motivation to really get moving. She has helped me along my path to health and fitness for the past three years and during that time I have made significant strides not only physically but mentally. When I need advice on advancements to my running routine Alene is the only person I trust for advice. When I encounter set-backs she is there to give me support and guidance. Without her help I know I would not be where I am today and I am forever grateful.” – S. A., Fort Collins
- Connect: Twitter | Facebook
Nursing Organization of the Week: New Mexico Center for Nursing Excellence
Nursing isn’t just about medicine, it’s also about the community. Nurses who work together help drive the field forward and provide support, encouragement, and so much more for nurses all over the world. With that in mind, we here at the Mastering Nursing podcast want to highlight and recognize those that are doing a particularly great job of it.
We seek nominations from our listeners and other passionate nurses, and then decide on award winners each episode. If you have any nursing organization you think should be highlighted, don’t hesitate to reach out via e-mail (or social media message) and let us know!
This week we’re happy to award the New Mexico Center for Nursing Excellence or NMCNE!
Founded in 2003, the NMCNE is a nonprofit organization that champions and honors nurses and is a recognized leader and change agent in advancing innovative nursing education, practice, and work environment models.
Their overall mission is to promote excellence and improve the health of all New Mexicans, but they have 3 specific sub goals.
- Support Nursing Education
- Support Nurses Throughout Their Careers
- Enhance the Image of Nursing and Honor Nurses
They have several activities and programs they support which include Nightinggale Nursing Scholarships, Annual Nursing Educators Conferences, Lecture Series, New Mexico Nursing Excellence Awards, and New Mexico Action Coalition.
Needless to say the NMCNE is doing so much to support nurses and are therefore a worthy award winner. Huge congrats to them! You can find out more about them by connecting online.