It’s time for a new episode of the Mastering Nursing podcast! On this show, we’re covering a topic that every nurse should be aware of… entrepreneurship. Joining Keith to discuss this is a true expert, Michelle Podlesni. Michelle is the author of UnConventional Nurse: Going from Burnout to Bliss! as well as the President of the National Nurses in Business Association and CEO/President of Bloom Service Group, LLC.
She is an accomplished businesswoman, US Navy veteran and nurse with over 30 years’ experience that ranges from clinical care, case management, to speaking engagements and healthcare technology. Michelle is also a bestselling author, and serial nurse entrepreneur. She has a proven track record of leadership success in executive management of start-ups and established multi-million dollar SaaS (software as a service) companies serving Fortune 500 clients. Michelle is a widely recognized and respected authority in business and speaks nationally on the empowerment of nurses through entrepreneurship, so needless to say, she’s the perfect guest to weigh in on the subject!
What You’ll Discover in This Episode:
- How thinking outside of the box as a nurse is one of your greatest keys to success, whether you’re a clinician, researcher, educator, or entrepreneur.
- Networking is crucial to growing your tribe of like-minded professionals.
- Self-examination is key to change in your life and career — goal-setting, too!
- Why you have to realize that you don’t know what you don’t know.
- Plus so much more!
Featured on the Show:
- Connect with Michelle Podlesni: Twitter | LinkedIn
- Connect with the Show: Facebook | Twitter
- Subscribe to the Show: iTunes | Google Play
A Quick Look at the National Nurses In Business Association (NNBA)
Established in 1985 by David Norris, the National Nurses in Business Association is dedicated to advancing and expanding nurse’s role in Business. The NNBA provides nurses with business education, strategies, best practices along with an extensive network of colleagues and resources helping nurses navigate the journey to entrepreneurial success. The NNBA has assisted thousands of nurses to launch, build and manage their own business. NNBA’s Annual Educational Conference on Nurse Entrepreneurship & Career Alternatives is each Fall. Michelle Podlesni currently serves as the President of the NNBA.
NNBA At a Glance:
- Mission: 1) Encourage nurse entrepreneurs and intrapreneurs to develop, grow, own, and manage their own business. 2) Develope opportunities locally and nationally for nurses in business. 3) Serve the networking and educational needs of their members.
- Michelle on the NNBA in her own words: “In the generation that has passed, since the National Nurses in Business Association was founded, the ranks of nurse entrepreneurs has increased substantially. The NNBA is the Vanguard of the nurse entrepreneur movement and that is a result of the active participation and contributions of its richly resourced membership. We are Nurses, Business Leaders and Mentors; an organization of Nurses Helping Nurses Succeed in Business!”
- Membership benefits: Business plan template, startup cost calculator, how-to articles on best business practices, continuing education opportunities, NNBA Newsletter, mentorship with NNBA president, discovery of job opportunities, professional networking online and in person, and more.
Nursing Organization of the Week: Nurse Practitioners of Oregon
Nursing isn’t just about medicine, it’s also about the community. Nurses who work together help drive the field forward and provide support, encouragement, and so much more for nurses all over the world. With that in mind, we here at the Mastering Nursing podcast want to highlight and recognize those that are doing a particularly great job of it.
We seek nominations from our listeners and other passionate nurses, and then decide on award winners each episode. If you have any nursing organization you think should be highlighted, don’t hesitate to reach out via e-mail (or social media message) and let us know!
This week, we’re very happy to recognize Nurse Practitioners of Oregon or NPO.
NPO was established back in 1977 as a special interest group within the Oregon Nurses Association and achieved prescriptive auhority in 1979. Since then they have grown and continue to advance the interests of Nurse Practitioners in the state of oregon. They have 3 purposes.
- To initiate and/or support legislation of interest to the Nurse Practitioners of Oregon membership.
- To promote recognition of the Nurse Practitioner’s role by the public, other professional health care groups, and the nursing profession.
- To provide a forum for the exchange of information and act as a support system for Nurse Practitioners.
Members of NPO also pay dues which go to support the legislative activities in Oregon that are required to enhance and at times maintain their progressive and independent NP practice.
It’s so important for nurses, including nurse practitioners, to have great organizations that support them on the local level. NPO does this expertly. You can check connect with them online to learn more about their latest events, check out the NPO store, find great resources for nurses, and so much more. Whether it’s connecting nurse practitioners, advancing healthcare goals, or just keeping nurse practitioners informed, NPO does a fantastic job. Huge congrats to them on their selection!